Friday, May 10, 2002

The Real Folk Blues - Zaboo

First in mind
Last in reality;
'Twas a bind
Not a specialty.

The time came to pass
I was ready to play.
The M acted like a jackass
I was not ready to stay.

They moved forward like things often do
Battles and ships, beams of light
Time opened its doors long after two
In spite of the blight of the gentle sight.

Oh, how the light played upon it
Like two spotlights fighting over a stage;
They rose, fell, and became lit,
Enclosing me within its cage.

You called me - yes you did!-
But awareness you did lack
As did I for the bid
Thought it a simple snack.

But no, my time had passed
And to my avail, again it came
But no, my aim was harassed
And to my lack, I lossed game.

The strike of an adder
Nothing less than mortal
Destroying my ladder,
My only escape portal.

The scar of sin.
The scent of the air.
The mark of death.
The beauty of the snare.

Has time been wasted
On this "has been" again?
Yet no one has tasted
What time offered when it began.

The road still lies in front
And my life grows
My path will continue on
And only time knows.

Background: Written at 12:30 AM on May 10, 2002. Research the life of the
author to understand the context in which the poem is written.

What is this poem about? If you really want to know, take a close look.
Examine the language, especially the similes and metaphors. What do they
mean? How do they mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home